If You Want To Make God Laugh: Start Planning for the Future



I am intrigued by people who believe that they are in absolute control of their lives. People who do not believe that destiny, ‘higher power’ or fate has anything to do with how their lives turn out to be. 

I’m not saying it in jest; I really do feel a sense of envy. They are, in a way, stronger than what I am. I live my life around the principles of Karma, destiny, fate. I think that if I do something good for somebody, I’m a better human being and that somebody up there keeps a check of it, and someday I’ll get redeemed for it. I know for a fact, that if I do something wrong – I’ll be penalised for it. It may be in my head, but that’s just the way it works for me. And it helps me lead a better life; it makes me a better human being.

My brother is an atheist and in one of those endless debates, I asked him “If it helps someone live a better life, how is it bad?” And I don’t think he gave me a conclusive answer for it. One of my friends lost a friend recently and I asked her if she was doing okay – and she told me that she knows that her friend is in a better place and it makes her feel better. Some cynics can call it escapism, I call it a way of life. No one knows for certain if god exists, if there is a heaven or hell – but if it helps you lead a happier life – how is it bad?

Leaving something in the hands of someone who you believe is greater than anything else in the world, that’s faith for me. And it’s a blissful thing to have. It’s hard to comprehend for people who don’t believe in it, but it is true.

Science and logic lovers often ask for proof if God exist – I want to ask: can you feel friendship? Can you feel love? No, but you believe in it. Faith works exactly like that. It doesn't matter if it exists or not, it’s what you believe in that matters.

4 comments:

  1. Well tbh athiest people would never understand this! there has been many proves tht god does exist but people still deny the fact that god does exist!! you should write more in detail about this topic alot of things havent been explained properly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can feel love and friendship, they're feelings - emotions that people experience for one another. In fact I think that you can even see it around you - you can see the way people in love or friendship interact. But, where do you see God? Do you feel God? I don't know if God exists..but why name your faith? Why not just believe in doing good, and not just for the sake of someone watching you? Are you saying that an atheist would not do good because they may feel that they do not have anyone to answer to...I have faith, I believe in doing good - but not because I fear someone up there, but because I believe that my good will help another human being. It's basic humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous - That's the thing - you won't feel it till you feel it. Try telling someone who doesn't believe in Love that you can feel love. He won't believe it. Faith, in a lot of ways, is like love. I don't think God is like the headmaster - its more like, as you put it, humanity. Humanity is your god, its your faith. God is different and unique for all of us. I'm talking about people who don't have one.

    And as for doing good - well, you can 'do good' for the sake of humanity, I know I can; and a lot of people can. But some can't. Some need to know that there is a right/wrong - in a weird way like we follow the laws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are times in life which tell you, that being a believer is the only way to go, the only way to be. :)

    Snehil

    ReplyDelete